Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Zora Neale Hurston - How it Feels to be Colored Me & The Gilded Six-Bits

Zora Neale Hurston is a writer I thoroughly appreciate. Her life was one that I wished everyone could live. To live a life for 13 years and not realize that race was an issue in the real world is amazing and that being black was not a problem for her at all was great. I know living in a town that was predominantly black for the first 13 years of her life was the main contributing factor but I really enjoyed the innocence of her early life. Even after her mother died and her father sent her to lives with relatives, the problems and difficulties she endured during this time she handled quite well. In her adult life, she had a successful life for the most part. It was a little disappointing to read that at the end of her life, she was penniless and living in a welfare home in Florida. However, after reading about her overall life, I would say that even though her last days looked difficult and gloomy, I wouldn’t be surprised to learn for her, her last days were still quite fulfilling and satisfying to her. She just seemed to have that ability to shine, no matter where she was.
In her story “How It Feels to be Colored Me” is a true account of the way I pictured her to be. She even states at one point that, “At certain times I have no race, I am me.” I even liked how she described the jazz orchestra by saying, “It constricts the thorax and splits the heart with its tempo and narcotic harmonies.” The details she uses in this story as well as the other story gives her readers the ability to see things almost the same way as she was envisioning them herself.
“The Gilded Six-Bits” was another great story. The love and excitement she portrayed in this couple was very pleasing and exhilarating. As I read the story and that no good Slemmons was introduced, I had a feeling he was there to cause trouble and he did! At this point I became very disappointed, but in the end, victory reared itself as the young lovers regained their marriage and survived heartache.
Of all our stories this week, the author I enjoyed most was Zora Neale Hurston.

No comments:

Post a Comment